Last updated: October 20, 2016
a. Information provided by you
The types of personal information that the Service collects directly from you may include:
- Contact information, such as your name, email address, postal address and phone number;
- Usernames and passwords;
- Payment information, such as a credit or debit card number;
- Identification information, such as your date of birth, driver’s license number and/or social security number –place of birth or other vital event and/or information about family members associated with a vital event may also be required when requesting vital records; Comments, feedback, posts and other content; and
- Interests and communication preferences.
In order to access certain content, make use of additional functionality and features or submit a request, you may be asked to register for an account or complete and submit a form that requests additional information.
b. Information Collected Automatically
- Internet Protocol ("IP") address used to connect your computer to the Internet;
- Computer, device and connection information, such as browser type and version, operating system, mobile platform and unique device identifier ("UDID") and other technical identifiers;
- Uniform Resource Locator ("URL") click stream data, including date and time stamp, referring and exit URLs, and pages you visited or searched for on the Service; and
- For location-aware Services, the town or city where your device is located in order to provide you with more relevant content for where you are in the world.
We may use and disclose information that does not reveal your identity or permit direct association with any specific individual, such as browser and device information, anonymous usage data and aggregated information, for any purpose, except where we are restricted by law. If we combine non-personal information with personal information, the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined.
You can control cookies through your browser’s settings and other tools. However, if you block certain cookies, you may not be able to register, login or access certain parts or make full use of the Service.
- Process or fulfill the transaction or order you request;
- Provide technical, product and other support and to help keep the Service working, safe and secure;
- Respond to your requests, inquiries, comments and concerns and otherwise correspond with you;
- Provide, evaluate and improve the Service and our other products and services and to develop new products, services and benefits;
- Offer you customized content and personalization of the Service to make it more relevant to your interests and needs;
- Notify you about changes or updates to the Service and our other products or services;
- Provide you with special offers and other information about the Service and our other products and services;
- Invite you to participate in surveys, sweepstakes, competitions and similar promotions;
- Identify usage trends and for data analysis, including for purposes of research, audit, reporting and paying royalties and license fees to third-party data providers, and determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, and in other ways to which you have expressly agreed in a customer agreement;
- To display personal testimonials of satisfied customers on our site in addition to other endorsements. With your consent we may post your testimonial along with your name. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us at VCN_helpdesk@vitalchek.com; and
- Comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
We may on occasion also match or combine the personal information that you provide with information that we obtain from other sources or that is already in our records, whether collected online or offline or by predecessor or affiliated group companies, for the purposes described above.
4. Disclosure of Your Personal Information
We do not share, sell, rent or trade your personal information with third parties for their promotional purposes.
We share your personal information with our affiliates, service providers, and data providers, including government agencies, to assist us with producing and delivering the Service, developing and operating our businesses, systems, applications, products and services, processing payments, providing technology functions and customer support, and marketing, promotion and communications..
We also may need to disclose your personal information
- To (i) respond to or comply with any law, regulation, subpoena, court order or other legal obligation; (ii) detect, investigate and help prevent security threats, fraud or other malicious activity; (iii) enforce and protect our rights and properties; or (iv) protect the rights, property or safety of our users, employees and others; and
- If LexisNexis VitalChek, the Service or a related asset or line of business is acquired by, transferred to or merged with another company.
The Service may let you post and share personal information, comments, materials and other content. Any information you post or disclose publicly may be collected and used by others and may be indexable by search engines. Please be careful when disclosing personal information in these public areas. To request removal of your personal information from our blog, message boards or profile pages, contact us at VCN_helpdesk@vitalchek.com. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
6. Your Communications Preferences
You can manage your communications preferences when you register with the Service by updating your account preferences by using the "opt-out" or unsubscribe mechanism or other means provided within the communications that you receive or by contacting us. We reserve the right to notify you of changes or updates to the Service whenever necessary.
7. Access to and Accuracy of Your Personal Information
The Service may allow registered users to directly access their account information and make corrections or updates upon login at any time. The accuracy of such information is solely the responsibility of the user.
You also may request access to other personal information about you that you have provided to us through the Service. You may also request to review, delete and correct any of that personal information which is stored and readily accessible for such review and/or correction, subject to the LexisNexis consumer choice policies and applicable law. For instance, information you provide for making a payment to a government agency or requesting a vital record may be transmitted to the appropriate government agency in real time rather than being stored, and therefore not readily accessible for review or correction. We will respond to your access or deletion request within a reasonable timeframe.
To protect your privacy and security, we may require you to verify your identity. The personal information you directly provide us for the purposes of verifying your identity is typically not stored, but transmitted to the appropriate government agency directly to process your request, and therefore not readily accessible for review or correction.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements and for other legitimate business purposes.
8. Data Security
We use a variety of generally accepted administrative, physical and technical security measures intended to safeguard your personal information. When you enter sensitive information (such as a credit card number) on our order forms, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
9. Cross-Border Transfer
12. Contacting Us
LexisNexis VitalChek Network Inc.
Attention: Privacy Manager
PO Box 1703
Brentwood, TN 37024-1703
Telephone: 1-800-669-8313 ext. 86885